20-Minute Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls w/ Green Goddess Tahini (For Two!)
If I were the kind of person who made resolutions, I’d imagine right about now is when I’d give up.
In the past I’ve attempted that “new year, new me” nonsense, but my results were always the same — One drink turns into twelve, 2pm becomes 4am, and before you know it I’m sleeping on a slice of pizza. So instead of “resolving” to become a better person this year, I’m staying the same! And fortunately that means zero pizza nap-times, slightly fewer bad decisions, and a whole lot more of THIS.
Healthy, easy, delicious.
A few months ago How Sweet It Is posted a pasta recipe with a genius trick that I quickly became obsessed with. The gist is to pour piping hot pasta over a bowl of fresh greens, then cover with aluminum foil. Wait 5 minutes, and voilà! The pasta’s natural heat steams the greens so that they’re ready to eat. It’s such an easy, clever method of preparation, I naturally started using it immediately. But instead of cooking with pasta I substituted quinoa to create epic Mediterranean bowls. And since Dave and I have been eating them for WEEKS, I decided it was high-time I posted one here.
What’s great about these bowls is that they’re completely customizable, so definitely feel free to get creative. This version is a simple, meatless variety with a complimenting collection of veggies (roasted red peppers, chickpeas, olives) a handful of nuts (pignoli), and a sprinkling of cheese (feta, duh). Nixing the feta makes this recipe completely vegan, so if that’s your thang take heed. Or if you need something a bit beefier, try incorporating shredded chicken or sliced steak! There’s really no wrong way to eat it, so long as you slather it with green goddess tahini.
If you’ve been craving a taste of summer recently, this tahini sauce will be your fix. An intensely herbaceous mix of tahini, avocado, parsley, and dill, it’s refreshing, creamy, and so so delicious. Besides pairing with these bowls the sauce works well by the spoon, with crudités, as a spread on sandwiches, and so much more!
It’s a versatile little recipe within a recipe, because 2017 is all about multi-tasking. xo
20-Minute Mediterranean Quinoa Bowls w/ Green Goddess Tahini
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 5 oz arugula
- 1 1/2 tsps extra virgin olive oil
- a pinch of salt & pepper
- 12 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained & sliced
- 10 oz chickpeas (I used from a can)
- 5 oz kalamata olives
- 3 tbsps pignoli nuts
- 2 oz feta cheese
- 1/2 small avocado
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 cup parsley leaves, lightly packed
- 2 tbsps dill
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsps lemon juice
- 1 tsp crushed or minced garlic
- a pinch of salt & pepper
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. I prefer making mine with chicken or vegetable broth, if you can.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a food processor or high-powered blender blend all sauce ingredients until smooth, scraping the sides as needed. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl toss the arugula, EVOO, and salt & pepper until all leaves are evenly coated. When the quinoa is finished cooking, immediately pour it over the arugula. Cover the bowl with a piece of aluminum foil, then let it sit for five minutes. Once the arugula is wilted/steamed, mix the quinoa & arugula with about half the green goddess sauce, then separate into two bowls. Top each bowl with an even distribution of roasted red peppers, chickpeas, olives, pignoli nuts, feta, and remaining sauce, then eat!