Bacon and Blue Cheese Grits
Is it weird to cook something you’ve never really eaten before?
Because such is the case with me and grits.
Grits are just one of those foods I’ve never sought out. It’s a southern thing, ya know? Not something for a sophisticated NYC girrrl like me. I mean, do I wave a confederate flag? Do I bring a gun to church? Am I married to my cousin? Of course not!
Are my stereotypes offensive? Clearly.
But then something changed. A few weeks back, I tried me some grits.
My reaction to this first tasting was a resounding meh. I thought they were bland, and mushy, and pretty much a non-event. But even though I was far from impressed, I could sense that there was potential. With some bolder flavors, I could envision grits tasting kinda good. And by carefully incorporating another ingredient, the texture could be more appealing. Grits could be enjoyable. They could maybe even be… awesome?
Because Bacon and Blue Cheese Grits are totally awesome.
I’ll be upfront and get the annoying facts out of the way: No, these aren’t super healthy. And yes, they are a bit high in fat.
The bacon & blue cheese combo pretty much eliminates the possibility of things staying slim, so let’s just get over that. The good news is this – These grits are seriously indulgent. Very thick, very creamy, very everything. So unless you have the appetite of Paul Bunyan, odds are you’re only going to need a small serving to be satisfied. And since portion control makes eating basically anything okay, you can still feel good about these Bacon and Blue Cheese Grits.
I’m not sure how much more I will foray into southern cooking. Sure, these turned out pretty damn tasty – The sharpness of the blue cheese and the saltiness of the bacon worked wonderfully against the creamy grits, and this is definitely a side dish I’ll be whipping up again. But I’m just not into NASCAR, and I think tipping cows is cruel, and people who eat pigs feet scare me.
Yes, I’m still stereotyping. Deal.
But grits… grits I can get on board with. Show them some lovin’, and they love you right back! And that’s exactly what happened with these Bacon and Blue Cheese Grits – hot, cheesy, southern-style lovin’.
All in a neat, unbiased bowl 🙂
Bacon and Blue Cheese Grits
- 3/4 cups Dry Grits (I used Quaker Oats)
- 3 oz Crumbled Blue Cheese
- 7 – 8 slices Thick Cut Bacon
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt & Coarse Black Peppercorn – approx.
- 1/4 cup Water – if needed
- Prepare grits as directed, cooking with the exact amount of water specified.
- While grits cook, on stovetop or in microwave prepare bacon until crispy. Dice into chunks, then set aside.
- When grits have cooked, reduced flame to low before seasoning with salt, pepper, and garlic. Next, add in crumbled blue cheese, stirring in a few tablespoons at a time. As the cheese gets incorporated, add water as needed to keep grits moist.
- Once all cheese has been added, stir in bacon. Allow ingredients to simmer for 5 -10 minutes, again adding water as needed. When ready, immediately plate and serve.