Brown Butter Roasted Carrots w/ Pistachios + Honey (4 Ingredients!)
If you’re in the market for the world’s easiest holiday side dish, here you go.
FOUR ingredients, 10 minutes of prep, total, crunchy perfection.
Unsurprisingly, I’m feeling a bit crazed right now. Between last-minute Christmas shopping, endless baking, year-end deliverables, and watching all my favorite holiday movies (v important), life feels a bit “much” right now. So for once I’m going to be brief and break down this recipe in a hot new york minute. Because when food is THIS simple, you don’t need much time to explain it.
The joy of this recipe isn’t just the minimal components + labor, though those aspects certainly help. It’s that this sweet, salty, painfully EASY side can be prepped ahead of your Christmas festivities!
Meaning less fuss, more ‘nog, and happiness to all.
You start by browning butter, which is a complicated-sounding process that’s actually really simple. I swear by How Sweet Eats brown butter tutorial, and every time my butter comes out perfect. Follow her lead, don’t get sassy — overconfidence is a brown butter killer — and 5 minutes later this recipe is half-way finished.
Once the butter is browned and aromatic as hell, pour it over trimmed & halved carrots, season, then roast for 25 minutes. I think petite carrots are sweeter and cuter, so I say go for them if you can. Plus — that rustic, multi-color look? A total tablescape stunner.
Once the carrots are crisp, golden, and perfectly roasted, top with crushed pistachios + tons of honey, then serve! The end result is a cozy, comforting, texture-rich dish that pairs perfectly with ham, turkey, chicken, beef wellington, whatever!
It’s a truly universal side dish that fits on any Christmas table. Not to mention it’s rather pretty, too. xo
Brown Butter Roasted Carrots w/ Pistachios + Honey
- 1 1/2 lbs petite rainbow carrots, trimmed & halved
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp salted butter
- a few pinches of salt & pepper
- 1 – 2 tbsps honey (approx.)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped salted pistachio nutmeats
- Pre-heat oven to 400F. Transfer the carrots to a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Add the butter to a small saucepan or skillet, then melt over a medium flame. Once melted, whisk continuously until the butter starts to bubble and foam, eventually developing brown bits at the bottom of the pan, about 5 minutes. As soon as the brown bits appear, immediately remove from heat and continue to whisk until the butter is aromatic and a cohesive brown/amber color. I religiously follow How Sweet Eats step-by-step tutorial when browning my butter, and I suggest you do the same!
- Pour the browned butter over the carrots, season with salt & pepper, then toss until all halves are evenly coated. Next arrange the carrots in a single layer, then roast on oven middle rack for 25 minutes until tender. Broil for an additional 3 – 4 minutes for a browner finish (optional, but I recommend it), then transfer to a serving plate. Drizzle generously with honey, sprinkle with crushed pistachios, then serve.
FYI: “trimmed” means slicing off the bitter tops (where the green spouts out) and the tips of the carrots, not peeling them!