Yes, you read that correctly.
Butterfinger Brownies – what a delightful idea, isn’t it?
For someone who is less than enthusiastic about Halloween, the thought of bringing the holiday spirit into my kitchen rather than my wardrobe really brightened my mood. Call me a total Deb, but Halloween is just not my jam. Stupid costumes, lame parties, and that one girl who’s dressed as a “hooker” but you know that’s what she normally wears anyway – not interested. But to avoid being a total buzzkill on yet another October 31st, this year I decided to celebrate CwC-style by indulging in some fun size confection.
The operative word here is indulge, because yes, these are not exactly diet-friendly, healthy, nutritious, or anything that should be consumed within a week of a first date. These are fudgey, chocolatey, buttery, melt-in-you-mouth, a moment on the lips a few weeks on the hips, out of this world good! Seriously, you will have to tell yourself to stop… several times. But in the grand scheme of things, what’s the harm? Sometimes you just have to splurge, and if a candy-themed holiday isn’t the time to do so, when is?
I had originally decided to make these brownies with Heath bars, but Dave suggested that Butterfingers might be a better option. I couldn’t have agreed more – crispy, crunchy, and of course, orange, they were the perfect choice.
As luck would have it, I started baking these right before Sandy blew into town. With my brownies barely out of the oven, I scrambled to take my pictures. And it was a good thing I did, because not two minutes after I had finished did the power go out. Good timing right? I guess the silver lining was I had the photos I needed for my post, and I had a tray full of gooey deliciousness to comfort me in the dark. Granted, my jeans are a big snug right now, but hey, shit happens.
Lastly, props to Dave for summoning every fiber of strength he had to not eat all the Butterfingers before I baked/while I baked/any nanosecond I wasn’t looking – the results were worth the wait!
- 1 box Brownie Mix (I used Duncan Hines)
- 25 Fun-Size Butterfinger Candy Bars
- 2 tbsps Low-Fat Butter
- 3 Egg Whites
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Canola Oil
- Crisco to grease
- Unwrap Butterfingers and place in ziploc bag. With bottom of small saucepan, crush candy into various sized chunks & crumbs. Remove from bag and pour into bowl, saving 1/2 cup for topping.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat, then pour over large portion of Butterfingers. Mix thoroughly until all pieces are damp, then set aside.
- In mixing bowl, combine brownie mix, egg whites, water, and canola oil, stirring until smooth. In well-greased 8″ X 10″ pan, evenly pour 75% of brownie batter into pan. Next, add buttered candy, patting down gently to create a firm layer. Pour over with remaining batter, covering candy layer as much as possible. For any exposed portions, use spare 1/2 cup Butterfingers to frame the edge.
- Bake in oven at 350F for 25 minutes. Allow to cool on wire rack for ten minutes, then serve.