Caramelized Onion Hummus
I guess I’m going through an onions phase?
Truth be told, I always love onions. I include them in like, every meal possible. They’re just so wonderfully flavorful. And so easily incorporated in everything. And you can buy them pre-diced, so there’s really no excuse not to use them.
Onions just make things great. So clearly, Caramelized Onion Hummus is going to be pretty damn great.
But you know what’s totally not great? This CBS/Time Warner Cable blackout. Like seriously, TWC is the worst company in the world. The world, people. My internet never works. My cable constantly goes in and out. My DVR box has been scrambled on at least three occasions. And every time I call them it takes 30 minutes of ranting and raving for them to comprehend anything I’m saying. Like, it’s a miracle I’m not on blood pressure medication yet. Or on a no-fly list for making terroristic threats.
So yeah, this ongoing blackout has me pretty peeved. It’s the principle of it, ya know? When you pay for a service, you expect to be served. Could you imagine if you went to your hair colorist and he was like, I can give you any highlights you want except blonde, because me and the blonde hair dye provider can’t agree over 50 cents. That would be ludicrous! There would be outrage! You would slap a bitch!
Which is basically what I’d like to do to TWC.
Since I’m already riled up about my cable situ, I figured a calming dish was in order. Hummus just feels peaceful, doesn’t it? It has that zen, lets-share-together-in-harmony kinda vibe. It’s the kind of food you’d imagine enjoying in an open field, propped up on an extra-large pillow with flowers in your hair and not a corporate demon in sight. It’s tranquility, in a bowl!
If you’re of the sweet & savory variety, you’re going to love this. If you lack the patience to cook a full-blown meal, this is your dish. If you like to stay fit & trim yet still eat deliciously, this has your name written all over it. Caramelized Onion Hummus is basically for everyone, ya dig?
I could honestly devour this dish by the spoonful, it’s that good. Buttery, creamy, and a touch smokey, this luscious hummus is a pure delight. Dive in with some crackers, pair it with veggies, or slather it onto chicken – anyway you enjoy it, this baby rocks. So get into the kitchen and get crackin’ on some Caramelized Onion Hummus – sweet, savory, serenity is on the way 🙂
Caramelized Onion Hummus
- 16 oz Chickpeas
- 3 cups Diced Yellow Onion
- 5 tsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Non Fat Greek Yogurt
- 1 1/2 tbsps Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 tsps Crushed or Minced Garlic
- 1 1/2 tsps Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt & Coarse Black Peppercorn – approx.
- In large skillet, slowly saute onions in 2 tsps EVOO over medium heat, stirring consistently until browned. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- While onions cool, in food processor blend chickpeas, greek yogurt, lemon juice, sesame seeds, parsley, garlic, and 2 tsps EVOO, pulsing until smooth. When ready, add in sauteed onions, setting aside 2 tbsps before blending. With all ingredients blended, salt and pepper to taste, then pulse a few times more.
- Top hummus with remaining onions, then sprinkle with additional sesame seeds and drizzle with final tsp EVOO. Immediately plate and serve with your choice of pairing.
so so good.