Easy Goat Cheese Huevos Rancheros, For Two!
I’m going through a major eggs phase right now.
Like, huge. I’ve got yolks on the brain 24/7, and I’m eating them however I can get my grubby little hands on them.
Over easy? Yep.
Scrambled? Hell no! I like my yolk runny, please.
But perhaps my favorite way to eat them — for now, at least — are these easy goat cheese huevos rancheros. Because not only are they easy (duh), and showcase a luscious canary-yellow yolk (!!!), they take just 10 measly minutes to make.
There are lots of huevos rancheros recipe to choose from, but what makes mine different is that it involves hot chili oil, a 2-minute tomato jam, and best of all? GOAT CHEESE.
Epic decisions all around.
You start by making the tomato jam, which replaces traditional salsa. What I like about tomato jam is that it’s fast, requires few ingredients, and is SO damn full of texture + flavor, I don’t know why salsa is ever even used. To prep it, saute minced shallots in a touch of chili oil until fragrant, then combine with drained fire-roasted tomatoes (from a can!), garlic, a spritz of lime, and salt. You effectively “fry”/reduce this mixture over a medium-high flame until it’s thick as hell — aka: a jam — and with every minute the fragrance grows. A little bit of charring is fine here, but be sure not to completely neglect it.
Stirs along the way keep it from overcooking.
With the tomato jam in action, warm two corn tortillas in the oven — I did this inside mini skillets! — then fry your eggs. My perfect sunny-side up egg takes about 2 minutes, with the whites still a little bit runny. For a more well-done sunny, go for 3 minutes. And once your egg is fried? THAT’S IT.
Put your ingredients together and have at it.
Inside/atop the warmed tortilla layer drained black beans + heaps of tomato jam, then place a fried egg on top. Drizzle with hot sauce (if you dare), garnish with fresh cilantro, and of course — the cheese! Sprinkle thick, luscious, gooey nuggets of goat cheese all OVER this thing and watch the magic happen. One perfect bite of yolk, jam, beans, and goat cheese is almost sensation overload… but not quite. The goat cheese has a powerful flavor on it’s own (so yums), but it also tempers the hot chili oil + hot sauce to make this a perfectly balanced, totally unique rancheros.
And in case I forgot, it’s portioned for two. xo
Easy Goat Cheese Huevos Rancheros
- 2 corn tortillas
- 2 tsps hot chili oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 14 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 tsp crushed or minced garlic
- half a lime, juiced
- a pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained
- 2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
- fresh cilantro to garnish
- hot sauce to serve (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 225F. Warm the tortillas on oven middle rack until needed.
- In a small skillet warm the chili oil over a medium-high flame, then add the shallots and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Next add the tomatoes, garlic, lime juice, and salt, then periodically stir until reduced/thickened — this should sync-up with the serving time.
- In another skillet, fry the eggs to your desired level of doneness, 2 – 3 minutes per egg. For a more filling meal, fry four eggs instead of two.
- When ready, place each warmed tortilla on a separate plate, then cover with an even distribution of tomato jam and black beans. Top with fried egg, sprinkle with goat cheese, and garnish with cilantro. Drizzle hot sauce on top (if you’d like), then EAT!