Rocky Road Puff Pastry Tarts
This is the kind of food for when you just want to have FUN.
It’s easy, fast, and completely delicious. Plus there’s some nostalgia in there, too.
If you force me to explain myself (fine), these tarts are basically a marriage of toaster strudel and rocky road. There’s ENDLESS layers of flaky puff pastry + a sumptuous vanilla drizzle (very strudel), met with chopped chocolate, slivered almonds, and pillows of mini marshmallows (rocky indeed). If you’re a fan of chocolate croissants this will totally be your jam. And since they take just six ingredients + 30 minutes to make (YES!), there’s absolutely no reason not to make them.
You start by thawing two sheets of puff pastry, which is one of the best baking shortcuts money can buy. While I am almost always espousing making your own dough (see here and here for a lecture), puff pastry is simply BOSS. It produces the most flaky, pillowy texture that works with sweet OR savory concoctions, plus it’s crazy easy to work with.
Most sheets thaw in about 10 minutes, so they’re ready whenever you need them.
Anyway. Thaw your puff pastry sheets, then slice each into six rectangles. Sprinkle the centers of one set of rectangles with chopped chocolate, slivered almonds, and mini marshmallows, leaving a slight border around the edge. Coat the exposed edge with egg wash, then top with the remaining rectangles and pinch along the sides to adhere. Lastly coat the tops in the remaining egg wash — this creates that golden effect — then pop in the oven!
20 minutes of baking is all they need.
The size alone of each tart is enough to get you excited, because from a profile angle? They’re HUGE. Layers upon layers of bouncy pastry goodness, the volume is truly a delight to see. The filling is as luscious as you’d expect — the chocolate + marshmallow is like s’mores heaven — with the slivered almonds adding necessary texture and saltiness along the way. I added heavy drizzles of vanilla icing on top because it felt like the perfect touch, but feel free to play around with your own ideas!
Drizzled marshmallow fluff? Or melted chocolate? Or vanilla icing PLUS more chocolate, almonds, and mini marshmallows!?
Whatever you choose, do you. xo
Rocky Road Puff Pastry Tarts
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed to room temperature
- 3 oz milk chocolate, chopped
- 1.5 oz dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup mini marshmallows (or more if you’d like)
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 1/2 cup vanilla frosting
- shortening to grease
- Pre-heat oven to 400F. Amply grease a baking sheet with shortening.
- Place both sheets of puff pastry on a lightly-floured surface, then use a pizza cutter to cut each sheet into 6 rectangles (you’ll have a total of 12). Next, evenly distribute the chopped chocolate, slivered almonds, and mini marshmallows across six of the slices, leaving a slight border of exposed puff pastry on each. Lightly coat this exposed border with egg wash, then top with the remaining slices of puff pastry, pressing along the edges with a fork or your fingers to adhere. Lastly coat the tops of each with the remaining egg wash on all sides, then transfer to the greased baking sheet.
- Bake on oven middle rack for 20 minutes until browned and golden. While they cool, warm the vanilla frosting in a microwave-proof bowl for about 10 seconds, then drizzle over the top of each pop tart. Slice and eat!