Rosemary Pesto Grilled Shrimp, For Two! (20 Minutes + Gluten-Free)
Apparently this is easy AF, gluten-free dinner week.
Happy Summer to you!!!
Since I’m assuming you’ve got happy hour tonight — if you don’t, make plans! — I’ll keep this quick. This recipe involves small-batch, homemade rosemary pesto, fresh, wild-caught shrimp, and a grill — That’s it! It’s insanely quick, crazy flavorful, and you’re going to want to eat it again and again.
You start by making the pesto, which is one of my favorite WRY sauces. Homemade pesto is crazy easy to make (anyone can do it) and with herbs in season, there’s absolutely NO reason to buy it store-bought. What’s great about pesto is that it’s wondrously effortless to play with, the classic basil-parmesan-pignoli variation is just the beginning. This 2015 article from Bon Appetit opened my eyes to just how awesome pesto creativity can be. And it directly paved the way for this rosemary pesto concoction chock full of MANCHEGO!!
Because manchego is creamy, sharp, deliciousness.
Throw some basil, rosemary, olive oil, manchego, lemon, and pignoli nuts in your food processor, then blend away. If you want to sneak a few tiny spoonfuls, that’s fine. But remember this is small-batch, so don’t get crazy! You’re going to need most of it.
This pesto recipe renders about 1/2 a cup, so take 1/3 of it in and toss it with the shrimp. Next thread the shrimp on bamboo skewers, then grill 2-3 minutes on either side! The whole dinner comes together in about 20 minutes, so this really couldn’t be simpler.
The taste here is fresh, bright, and herbaceous, with that creamy manchego flavor coming through. This is a great with a side of fire-roasted bell peppers, Israeli couscous, or even a touch of pasta! Not to mention you can get a little surf-and-turf action going on with this, too.
This + some skirt steak? Yes please.
Rosemary Pesto Grilled Shrimp, For Two!
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves packed
- 1/3 cup fresh rosemary, packed
- 2 tbsps pignoli nuts
- 1/4 cup manchego cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb wild-caught shrimp
- Pre-heat an outdoor grill or grated grill to medium-high heat.
- In a food processor combine all pesto ingredients and blend until smooth. Next, in a mixing bowl combine the shrimp and 1/3 cup of the pesto, tossing well.
- Thread the shrimp on bamboo skewers, then grill 2-3 minutes on either. EAT! Pairing with the remaining pesto for dipping.