Foolproof Butter-Free Banana Bread
Welcome to the healthiest banana bread ever. Butter-Free Banana Bread
It’s made with <10 ingredients and prepped in 10 minutes. So not only is it good for you, it’s completely foolproof too.
The trick to this banana bread is to avoid over-mixing. You want to incorporate each ingredient until just combined, then immediately start incorporating the next. This preparation method is crucial, lending a density to this bread that mimics the taste + texture of butter. WITHOUT using any butter at all!
It’s like magic, but better. Butter-Free Banana Bread
You start by whisking together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt), then combining full-fat greek yogurt, canola oil, and vanilla extract in another bowl. This greek yogurt mixture replaces traditional butter, so it has to be full-fat. Flavor is fine (vanilla, coconut, whatever you like) but the fat is a must.
When you’re ready, in the bowl of a stand mixer beat two eggs + granulated sugar until pale and fluffy, then beat in mashed bananas until just mixed. Lastly incorporate the flour and yogurt in four alternating batches, being diligent to not over-mix. As soon as the batter takes shape, finally fold in chocolate chips, then bake!
Like I said, 10 mins of prep is all you need.
If you’d like to swap the chocolate chips for crushed nuts, that’s fine by me. And if you’d prefer to bake this plain, that’s okay too. Just remember that no matter what special spin you put on this, one thing’s for sure.
This is totally. Completely. FOOLPROOF!
Gently fluffy with a texture that feels like it’s been steeped in butter (it hasn’t!), this bread tastes downright incredible. It’s full of robust banana flavor, sweet without being too sweet, and just generally feels wholesome and good. Eat a freshly cooked slice naked, then toast up leftovers with smears of palm oil spread, almond butter, raspberry jam, and more!
It’s the breakfast treat you crave, without the guilt you don’t. Xo
Foolproof Butter-Free Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cup sale purpose flour, sifted + more for the loaf pan
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup full-fat greek yogurt
- 3 tbsps canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 – 4 bananas, mashed*
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- shortening to grease
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Amply grease an 8″ x 4″ or 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with shortening, then coat with a film of flour.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, whisking gently to combine. In another, small mixing bowl stir the greek yogurt, canola oil, and vanilla until smooth.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the sugar and eggs, beating on medium-high speed for several minutes until pale and fluffy. Reduce the speed to medium-low, then add the bananas until just incorporated. Add half the flour, again until just incorporated, then half the yogurt mixture. Beat in the remaining flour and yogurt in the same alternating manner, stopping as soon as the batter takes shape. The trick here is to move swiftly, so that as one ingredient combines, you immediately add another. Avoid over-mixing as much as possible.
- Lastly fold in the mini chocolate chips, then transfer the batter to the greased and floured loaf pan. Bake on oven middle rack for 55 – 65 minutes until a toothpick comes out of the center clean. Cool completely, then remove from loaf pan and slice!
* 3 large bananas or 4 medium/small bananas
Butter-Free Banana Bread