Hot Honey Cauliflower Bites
Shall we take a break from the holidays?
Not a long one, so don’t panic! More gluttonous creations are on the way. But for today, let’s remember that there are other food groups beyond bread, butter, and cream. There is CAULIFLOWER. And it’s low-carb. And you need it desperately right now.
What’s great about these hot honey cauliflower bites is that they REALLY taste like wings. Yes, this recipe is obviously vegetarian, no two ways about it. But the hot honey shellacking on these is SO fiery, SO sweet, so lip-smackingly delicious, you might actually forget you’re eating a veggie.
You start by chopping a head of cauliflower into florets, discarding of the stems as you do. Next, arrange two mixing bowls + a greased baking sheet in an assembly line, so that this process goes smoothly. In the first mixing bowl create a batter out of egg, skim milk, and almond flour. And in the second bowl, combine panko crumbs + seasoning. Dredge each floret in the batter until completely coated, roll in the panko crumbs, then place on the baking sheet! Repeat until all florets are finished, then pop in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
While the florets bake prepare the hot honey sauce, which is a mix of sriracha, honey, and a generous dose of butter. Once the 30 minutes have passed, dunk each floret into the hot honey sauce to coat, then return to the baking sheet. Bake for another 5 – 10 minutes until crispy and crimson, and that’s it!
Easy, peasy, fo-sheasy.
Unsurprisingly these are all sorts of fiery, sweet, and epically crunchy, making them ideal for snack and apps. But best of all? They freeze SO well!
Store in an air-tight container in your freezer for up to 6 weeks, reheating @350F as you please. Xo
Hot Honey Cauliflower Bites
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp skim milk (I used 2%)
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsps almond flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups panko crumbs
- 2 tsps garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- a few pinches of salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp salted butter, melted
- 3 tbsps honey
- 6 tbsps sriracha sauce
- sesame seeds to garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 400F. Amply cook a large-rimmed baking sheet with olive oil spray.
- On a cutting board cut the cauliflower into florets, discarding of the stems. Next, in a small mixing bowl combine the eggs, skim milk, and almond flour, whisking until smooth. In another mixing bowl combine the panko crumbs, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and salt & pepper, tossing well until mixed.
- One floret at a time, dredge in the batter mixture, then amply coat with panko crumbs before transferring to the greased baking sheet. Repeat until all florets are coated.
- Spray the top and sides of each floret with olive oil spray, then bake on oven middle rack for 30 – 35 minutes until crisp and golden. Mid-way through cooking, coat each floret again with olive oil spray.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized mixing bowl whisk the butter, honey, and sriracha until combined. Transfer half to a small serving bowl.
- Once the cauliflower bites are crisp, one at a time dredge each in the sauce still in the mixing bowl, then return to the baking sheet. Repeat until all bites are covered in sauce. Return to oven and bake for another 5 – 10 minutes until crisp, then eat! Garnish with sesame seeds if desired and pair with the remaining sauce for dipping.