Thick & Fudgy Reese’s Pieces Espresso Brownies
The other night I decided that I just HAD to make these brownies.
At 11 o’clock. On a Sunday. It’s what neurotic people do.
But thankfully I’m glad that I did. Because this is a fun, carefree recipe that’s actually REALLY simple. So you can make it in a pinch, and use whatever candy you like.
Big surprise, but the Reese’s Pieces were an impulsive decision too. In my manic state of needing to bake for absolutely no reason, I had a vision of brownies stuffed with Reese’s Pieces, and history was made. Lucky for you these brownies work just as great with Butterfingers, peanut butter cups, Milky Way’s, Snickers, whatever! So when you find yourself with leftover Halloween candy, bake this.
You start with my classic brownie recipe, which you can also find here, here, and here. I like brownies. You start by combining equal parts flour and unsweetened cocoa powder, then you warm A TON of butter over a low flame. Once melted whisk in a tablespoon or two of instant coffee (depends on how strong you like it), whisking and stirring until incorporated. Pour through a strainer into a mixing bowl, then combine with eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Lastly add the dry ingredients to the wet, and ta-da!
We’re already half-way there.
Pour about 1/2 of the batter into a greased 9″ x 9″ baking dish, then STUFF with whatever candy of your choosing. Be sure it’s an offensively thick layer, because this is clearly your cheat day anyway. Finally layer the remaining batter on top, then bake for 45 minutes!
Easy, fast, shameless.
How you decorate these is up to you, but they’re honestly great on their own. Insanely fudgy with a candy coated center and a buzzy kick, these are an adult-ish way of enjoying Halloween.
…AND compulsively baking, should you feel the need. Xo
Thick & Fudgy Reese's Pieces Espresso Brownies
- 1 cup all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup + 2 tbsps salted butter
- 2 tbsps instant coffee
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 lb Reese’s Pieces (or candy of your choice!)
- 8 oz fudge sauce
- sprinkles for decorating
- shortening to grease
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 9″ x 9″ baking dish with shortening.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, and salt, whisking until combined. Next, in a small skillet warm the butter over a low flame until melted, stirring continuously. Add the instant coffee, whisking to incorporate. Keep warm for several minutes, stirring routinely to avoid burning. Taste-test to see that it’s strong enough (it will be bitter! that’s okay), then remove from flame.
- Pour the butter through a stainer into another mixing bowl, then combine with the sugar, eggs, and vanilla, mixing well. Add the dry ingredients to the wet, then stir until the batter takes shape.
- Spread approximately half the batter along the bottom of your greased & lined baking dish, using a spatula to spread to the edges as evenly as possible. Top with Reese’s Pieces, then cover with the remaining batter — Spreading this top layer can be annoying, but just do your best! As long as it’s even, you’re good.
- Bake the brownies on oven middle rack for about 45 minutes until a toothpick comes out of the center clean. Cool for at least thirty minutes, then gently remove from baking dish. Smother the top of the brownies with warmed fudge sauce — if using from a jar, microwave instructions will be on the label — then decorate with sprinkles. Slice and EAT!